Art in the Dark is a free public, illuminated, interactive art festival hosted in Western Park on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night every November. Launching in 2010, it has since grown to become a hugely successful public festival for Auckland.
In 2012 Art in the Dark had over 42,000 visitors viewing over 30 installations and creative performances over two nights.
Art in the Dark invites Tertiary Students to come up with something amazing and imaginative for this year’s festival.
The winner, by public vote will have their name in lights and the opportunity to have their design realised for Art in the Dark 2013 for over 50,000 people to view plus a Philips Prize Pack to the value of $1,000!
Art in the Dark provides an opportunity for the public to see underused urban spaces in a new light through artworks, installations and creative performances.
Over 3 nights during Art in the Dark, Western Park and Ponsonby Road will come alive through innovative site specific temporary artworks and installations we will commission for this year’s festival.
We ask competition entrants to consider:
- Ideas that transform or work with the site in an interesting way
- Lighting and illumination as the event is held at night
- Interactive elements and how the public will engage with the piece
- The high international standard Art in the Dark demands from all participants
- The materials used to incorporate sustainable practices and creative uses of lighting and energy – The aesthetic, cultural and historical features of Western Park and the local area
- Withstanding three nights of spring weather.
Light Installations; Interactive Projects; Spatial Projects; Landscape Community Projects; Sound Installations; Video Works; Projections; Artworks; Performances; Kinetic Structures/Sculptures
WE WANT TO SEE INNOVATIVE IDEAS THAT TRANSFORM THE SPACE AND ALLOW THE AUDIENCE TO SEE THE URBAN ENVIRONMENT IN A NEW WAY.
The winning student will receive a budget to realize their proposal for Art in the Dark and further the accolade and opportunities provided through Art in the Dark for exhibiting alongside some of New Zealand’s most innovative light artists and designers that continue long after the event.
ENTRIES CLOSE MONDAY 16 SEPT. 2013
for more information or an application form check out the links below